A prospective applicant may download the Application for Certification of ADA Eligibility or call or write to the Office for People with Disabilities to request a printed application in writing or by phone.
If your eligibility has expired within the current calendar year and you wish to re-certify, please download and complete the Recertification Form.
When an applicant has been found eligible for Bee-Line ParaTransit, that person will receive a packet of materials providing:
- information on how to make reservations
- the rights and responsibilities of riders
- how to make complaints and other important information.
The materials, that you may open in pdf format to download and print below, include the:
The application process
Upon completion of the application you must contact the Office for People with Disabilities at (914) 995-2959 to set up an interview to review your application. A ParaTransit ride will be provided upon request to and from your interview only free of charge. The applicant must bring all supporting documentation requested on the application form. You may also attach any other documentation which you wish to have considered as part of the eligibility process. You may receive assistance from other people in filling out the application. Any person providing assistance should be identified on the application form in the designated space. You may contact the Office for People with Disabilities at (914) 995-2960 or (914) 995-2959 for additional information. Please make sure that the application is complete. Incomplete applications will delay the review process. If any information is not true or misrepresents the facts, the applicant will be found ineligible.
The Office for People with Disabilities determines eligibility based principally on the application form and the information submitted with it. An applicant must establish that he/she is at least 12 years of age and functionally unable to use regular Bee-Line transit. An applicant may be required to provide additional information regarding his/her disability and his/her ability to independently use regular Bee-Line bus transit. Failure to provide any requested information will be conclusively deemed a withdrawal of the ParaTransit application.
If someone requires the assistance of another person to be able to travel on ParaTransit, this person will be allowed to travel with them and will not be required to pay a fare. However, this person must board and leave the vehicle at the same location as the ParaTransit registered person. The fact that an attendant is required for travel must be indicated on the application or else any person accompanying the eligible person will be considered a friend or companion and will have to pay a fare.
All applicants for ADA ParaTransit eligibility will be informed of their eligibility status in writing within 21 business days of the date the completed application was filed with the Office for People with Disabilities. Each applicant deemed eligible for ParaTransit will be assigned to one of the three Eligibility Categories.
- Conditional - Conditional eligibility will apply to individuals who are able to use regular Bee-Line transit service for some trips, but may require ParaTransit for other trips or in special circumstances. Eligibility for ParaTransit trips will be determined on a trip-by-trip basis and will be based on the individual’s functional ability to independently use regular Bee-Line buses for some trips or part of a particular trip.
- Unconditional - Unconditional eligibility will apply to individuals who have been judged functionally unable to independently use regular Bee-Line service in any circumstance.
- Temporary - Temporary eligibility will apply to individuals with temporary physical disabilities, or visually or cognitively impaired individuals who have not been “mobility trained”. Temporary eligibility lasts for the expected term of the disability, or until a visually or cognitively impaired individual has had an opportunity to become “mobility trained”, but in any event no longer than 12 months. After the 12-month period, individuals who were granted temporary eligibility must reapply and be reevaluated if they desire to continue using ParaTransit.